In today’s rough job market, it is rare to find a field of work that experiences growth. Did you know that jobs requiring a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) are still growing in demand? That’s because there are always a number of goods that require transportation across the country. Once you have a CDL, you open yourself up to a ton of driving job opportunities that other people aren’t qualified for. You can get started as soon as possible in a new career if you can get a CDL. Here are just some of the job opportunities that people who have a CDL can inquire about.
- You could drive for a large company like Wal-Mart. Employers like this are always looking for qualified people to join their workforce. A company the size of Wal-Mart needs CDL drivers to transport their products from warehouses to individual stores and vice-versa. Opportunities for people living near Wal-Mart warehouses are abundant.
- You could also drive for a private trucking company. Corporations like Smith Transport are large companies that provide their trucking services to other companies for a large fee, and these earnings get trickled down to the drivers. Try to find the largest and wealthiest company to work for, and you will increase your chances for earning great salaries and benefits. Getting your CDL can pay off in the long run of your life with so many great chances for jobs.
- Drive hazardous material trucks. This requires a special type of CDL, and very few people are actually qualified for these types of jobs. Chemical plants always need people who can drive trucks with dangerous chemicals in them, and they need to know that it is being done safely and efficiently. You could become a go-to truck driver for a chemical company.
- You can also get a CDL job while driving for the government. Large trucks are needed to transport money, mail, and other important items across the country. If you can land a big government job with a CDL, then you have it made. These jobs are very competitive, and you’ll probably need prior experience driving with a CDL to be considered for jobs. The benefits are top-notch, and the pay is, too.
- You could even start your own trucking business. If you’ve been driving trucks for a number of years and learned the ropes of the business, why not open up your own private trucking business? You could save up some of your salary and buy trucks of your own, and then buy your own warehouse if necessary. You could become self-employed in a job that you know a lot about, and you can be your own boss.
Since the job market for CDL drivers continues to grow, you can never pick a bad time to get into the trucking industry. Get a CDL as soon as possible and put it to good use. You can make a great life for yourself with a CDL and you can become available for many types of jobs.
Patrick Johnson is a finance writer who understands the cost of semi truck insurance for those with trucking jobs. This article was written by a guest author. Would you like to, submit a guest blog post?